Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Fun Stroll Down Memory Lane

A new chair for the "Pink" room - from the East Millcreek Library (my childhood library)Cost $5. each - (that's for you Laura) I'll take new pics once we re-finish them.
A new chair for the desk in my room. Jayme got 4 of these for her kitchen table. Cost: $5.
The East Millcreek Library - they are tearing it down along with the gymnasium next door and building a new library, senior center and rec center. When we went inside, it looked so small compared to my memories. It's probably been 25 years since I've been inside this library. I had so many memories of it, I was really glad we went. They were selling all the furniture and shelving down to the walls. I wanted one of the old book carts, but they were all marked for transfer or sold.... should've come a little earlier!
We strolled over to our childhood playground, Evergreen Park. It looked beautiful, again very small. It's been a few years since I've been to the Park. The last time was a Neff Family reunion that was probably 10 years or so ago.

None of this was fenced when we were kids - Jayme and I laughed, those were the good old day- we were constantly exposed to danger! We cut down Keller Lane and thru the other streets, hit the creek thru the back and walked across poles, or pipes to get across the creek to Evergreen Jr High - it cut of a couple of blocks of our walk to school. Yes! We walked to school almost every day and walked home. Rain, Snow or Sunshine. We were so lucky !!!

This is the "Patio" there. If you blow up the pic, you can see where the old fireplace has been bricked up. It seemed like it was huge, but looks smaller now. I remember the fireplace was used a lot. We had breakfast there every fourth of July. This park reminds me of my Grandma. It runs along Evergreen Avenue (the fourth of July parade ran up and down this road every year) and I also think of it, as ours.

The pumpkin is being considered for removal (along with the castle behind it). They are both metal and not safe for kids. I hope they don't change it. The kids will survive - we did.
I had forgotten about the cannon - but it's still there! Anyway it was fun to stroll down Memory Lane








3 comments:

laura said...

can't wait to see the chairs!!!

Jenny said...

That was my most favorite park! I am so sad to see this post! I need one of those chairs to go with my desk!

dennisandsong said...

Oh the pumkin carriage!!!! Glad you got something from your library.