Monday, June 16, 2008

Tough Love

Dad and his buddy, Preston

I think the sign above Dad's head is appropriate....
Yesterday we celebrated Father's Day. I am always so grateful for my Dad, but let me tell you, he is a character. In his heyday, he was the toughest, meanest, strongest man in the neighborhood. He was the one that neighbors called if they needed a job done. He was famous at our house for doing jobs for everyone in the neighborhood but usually was too busy for chores at home. Actually this wasn't true - he had 7 kids that were there to do the work at home and work we did. Dad did check our work too, and it needed to be done right or it was re-done....When time came to play Dad was right there. We had high jump championships, brick carrying championships, timed runs, etc. The high jump championships took a dive, though, when Dad did, opening his head on a brick that was holding up the extended bars... Whoops.
On the other hand, my Dad loves to read, and to learn things. He reads the newspaper from cover to cover daily and reads novels constantly between his yardwork and babysitting duties.
He is an artisan with his masonry ability and still misses the days when his buddies all called him "Good Old". He built many of the brick and stone buildings in our city and can still work circles around me!! Dad, you may be getting older, but you will always be strong and tough, no matter what. We could count on you when we needed you. I love you, Dad. Thanks for teaching me to be tough too. It's not always a good thing but it helps to be able to pull myself up by the bootstraps (so to speak) when I need to! Thanks for teaching me my work ethic and thanks for being the shelter in my storms.

No comments: