Sunday, August 31, 2008

You say tomato.....I say phooey!

This is the saddest crop I've EVER had

The cukes seem to be coming along slowly



My herbs are happy The zucchini is finally producing ....




I love my small vegetable garden, I'm not as dedicated as I should be and get lots of help from my Dad and Carey for the heavy work. I hoe, weed and feed is about it, but I LOVE fresh tomatoes at the end of the summer and like to jar up chili sauce and salsa at the end of the year for the winter. My harvest this year is the worst ever. Two years ago I had Carey build some garden boxes because I read that the boxes helped to keep the water in better and the bugs at bay, as well as making it easier to keep weeded - I'm all about easy - anyway, thinking the soil in the boxes were bad, I have lamented the scarcity of the blossoms, the wilted and brown stems and the miniscule and half split sorry tomatoes that have managed to grow. I tried inserting water tubes for better hydration and have religiously feed them, to no avail. My tomato harvest consists of about 15 tiny (golfball size) versus the typical baseball size I like, and about a third were inedible because of splits, rot or bug holes. I could cry!! I read in the paper that the cold May we had, caused a lot of the local tomatoes to set blossoms too soon and the cold spring kept the honey bees away as well. I was glad to know I'm not a total numbskull about my gardening methods (of course I blamed myself) and that the climate was part of the issue..... but I am very sad my tomato crop this year is crap.

1 comment:

Davino said...

...you got the "ho" part right...